Villisca Axe Murders


The Villisca Axe Murders occurred during the night of June 9–10, 1912 in the southwestern Iowa town of Villisca. The six members of the Moore family and two house guests were found bludgeoned in the Moore residence. All eight victims, including six children, had severe head wounds from an axe. A lengthy investigation yielded several suspects, one of which was tried twice and acquitted. The crime remains unsolved.


The Moore family consisted of parents Josiah (aged 43), Sarah (39), and their four children: Herman (11), Katherine (10), Boyd (7) and Paul (5). An affluent family, the Moores were well-known and well-liked in their community. On June 9, 1912, Katherine Moore invited Ina (8) and Lena (12) Stillinger to spend the night at the Moore residence. That evening, the visiting girls and the Moore family attended the Presbyterian church where they participated in the Children’s Day Program, which Sarah Moore had coordinated. After the program ended at 9:30 p.m., the Moores and the Stillinger sisters walked to the Moores’ house, arriving between 9:45 and 10 p.m.

At 7 a.m. the next day, Mary Peckham, the Moores’ neighbor, became concerned after she noticed that the Moore family had not come out to do their morning chores. Peckham knocked on the Moores’ door. When nobody answered, she tried to open the door and discovered that it was locked. Peckham let the Moores’ chickens out and then called Ross Moore, Josiah Moore’s brother. Like Peckham, Moore received no response when he knocked on the door and shouted. He unlocked the front door with his copy of the house key. While Peckham stood on the porch, Moore went into the parlor and opened the guest bedroom door and found Ina and Lena Stillinger’s bodies on the bed. Moore immediately told Peckham to call Hank Horton, Villisca’s primary peace officer, who arrived shortly thereafter. Horton’s search of the house revealed that the entire Moore family and the two Stillinger girls had been bludgeoned to death. The murder weapon, an ax belonging to Josiah, was found in the guest room where the Stillinger sisters were found.

Doctors concluded that the murders had taken place shortly after midnight. The killer or killers began in the master bedroom, where Josiah and Sarah Moore were asleep. Josiah received more blows from the ax than any other victim; his face had been cut so much that his eyes were missing. The killer(s) then went into the children’s rooms and bludgeoned Herman, Katherine, Boyd, and Paul in the head in the same manner as their parents. Afterward, the killer(s) moved downstairs to the guest bedroom and killed Ina and Lena.

Investigators believed that all of the victims except for Lena Stillinger had been asleep at the time of the murders. Investigators also believed Lena attempted to fight back. She was found lying crosswise on the bed, and a defensive wound was discovered on her arm. Furthermore, Lena was found with her nightgown pushed up to her waist and no undergarments on, leading to speculation that the killer(s) sexually molested her or attempted to do so.


Over time, many possible suspects emerged, including Reverend George Kelly, Frank F. Jones, William Mansfield, Loving Mitchell and Henry Lee Moore. George Kelly was tried twice for the murder. The first ended in a hung jury, while the second trial ended in a verdict of not guilty. Other suspects in the investigation were also exonerated.

Andrew Sawyer

Every hobo, transient and otherwise unaccounted for stranger was also a suspect in the murders. One such suspect was a man named Andy Sawyer. As with many other suspects, no real evidence linked Sawyer to the crime but his name came up often in grand jury testimonies.

According to Thomas Dyer of Burlington Iowa, a bridge foreman and pile driver for the Burlington Railroad, S.A. (Andy) Sawyer approached his crew in Creston at 6:00 a.m on the morning the murders were discovered. Sawyer was clean-shaven and wearing a brown suit when he arrived. His shoes were covered in mud and his pants were wet nearly to the knees. He asked for employment and as Dyer needed an extra man he was given a job on the spot.

Dyer testified that later that evening when the crew hit Fontenelle Iowa, Sawyer purchased a newspaper which he went off by himself to read. The newspaper carried a front page account of the Villisca murders and according to Dyer, Sawyer “was much interested in it.” Dyer’s crew complained that Sawyer slept with his clothes on and was anxious to be by himself. They were also uneasy about the fact that Sawyer slept with his ax and often talked of the Villisca murders and whether or not a killer had been apprehended.

He apparently told Dyer personally that he had been in Villisca that Sunday night and had heard of the murders and was afraid he may be a suspect which was why he left and showed up in Creston. Dyer was suspicious and turned him over to the sheriff on June 18th of 1912.

Prior to the sheriff arriving, Dyer testified that he walked up behind Sawyer and he was rubbing his head with both hands and all of the sudden jumped up and said to himself “I will cut your god damn heads off” at the same time he made striking motions with the ax and began hitting the piles in front of him.

Dyer’s son (J.R.) also testified that one day as the crew drove through Villisca, Sawyer told him he would show J.R. where the man that killed the Moore family got out of town. He said the man that did the job jumped over a manure box which he pointed out about 112 blocks away and then showed where he crossed the railroad track and there were footprints in the soggy ground north of the embankment. He then said for J.R. to look on the other side of the car and he would show him an old tree where he said the murderer stepped into the creek.

According to J.R. Dyer, he looked over and saw such a tree south of the track about four blocks away. Sawyer, however, was apparently dismissed as a suspect in the case when it was discovered that he was able to prove he had been in Osceola, Iowa, on the night of the murders. He had been arrested for vagrancy and the Osceola sheriff recalled putting him on a train at approximately 11 p.m. that evening.

Reverend George Kelly

Rev. Kelly was said to be unbalanced and perhaps a pedophile. He was a traveling minister who happened to be teaching at the Children’s Day services on June 9, where the Moore family attended church. He and his wife left the town early on June 10, the day the bodies were discovered.

Frank F. Jones

Frank Jones was a Villisca resident and an Iowa State Senator. Josiah Moore had worked for Frank Jones at his implement store for many years before leaving to open his own store. It is said that Moore took away business from Jones, including a very successful John Deere dealership. It is also rumored that Moore had an affair with Jones’ daughter-in-law, though no evidence supports this.

William Mansfield

Another theory was that Senator Jones hired William “Blackie” Mansfield to murder the Moore family. It is believed that Mansfield was a serial killer because he murdered his wife, infant child, father- and mother-in-law with an ax two years after the Villisca crimes; and is believed to have committed the axe murders in Paola, Kansas, four days before the Villisca crimes; and committed the double homicide of Jennie Peterson and Jennie Miller in Illinois. The locations of these crimes were all accessible by train, and all murders were carried out in exactly the same manner.

However, Mansfield was released after a special Grand Jury of Montgomery County refused to indict him on grounds that his alibi checked out. Nine months before the murders at Villisca, another similar case of ax murder occurred in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Two additional ax murder cases followed in Ellsworth, Kansas, and Paola, Kansas. All cases were similar enough that the possibility that all were committed by the same person was impossible to dismiss. Other murders mentioned as being “linked” to these crimes include the numerous unsolved ax murders along the Southern Pacific Railroad from 1911-1912, the unsolved Axeman of New Orleans killings, as well as several other ax murders during this time period.

According to the “Villisca Ax Murders House” website, Mansfield was also the prime suspect of the Burns Detective Agency of Kansas City and Detective James Newton Wilkerson, who put forth the theory that he was a cocaine addicted serial killer. Wilkerson also believed Mansfield was responsible for the ax murders of his wife, infant child, father-in law and mother in law in Blue Island, Illinois on July 5, 1914 (two years after the Villisca murders), the ax murders committed in Paola, Kansas, four days before Villisca murders and the murders of Jennie Peterson and Jennie Miller in Aurora, Illinois.

According to Wilkerson’s investigation, all of the murders were committed in precisely the same manner indicating the same man committed them. Wilkerson stated that he could prove that Mansfield was present in each of these places on the night of the murders. In each murder, the victims were hacked to death with an ax and the mirrors in the homes were covered. A burning lamp with the chimney off was left at the foot of the bed and a basin in which the murderer washed was found in the kitchen. In each case, the murderer avoided leaving fingerprints by wearing gloves, which Wilkerson believed was strong evidence that the man was Mansfield, who knew his fingerprints were on file at the federal military prison at Leavenworth.

Wilkerson managed to convince a Grand Jury to open an investigation in 1916 and Mansfield was arrested and brought to Montgomery County from Kansas City. Payroll records, however, provided an alibi that placed Mansfield in Illinois at the time of the Villisca murders. He was released for a lack of evidence and later won a lawsuit he brought against Wilkerson and was awarded $2,225. Wilkerson believed that pressure from Jones resulted not only in Mansfield’s release but also in the subsequent arrest and trial of Reverend Kelly.

However, a mister “R.H. Thorpe”, an apparent restaurant owner from Shenandoah, identified Mansfield as the man he saw the morning after the Villisca murders boarding a train at Clarinda. This man said he had walked from Villisca. If this is substantiated it will break down Mansfield’s alibi. Furthermore, it was reported that a “Mrs. Vina Thompkins”, of Marshalltown, was on her way to testify that she heard three men in the woods plotting the murder of the Moore family a short time before the killings.

Henry Lee Moore

Henry Lee Moore, also a suspected serial killer (who was not related to the slain Moore family), and who was also convicted of the murder of his mother and grandmother several months after the murders in Villisca, his weapon of choice being an ax. Before and after the murders in Villisca, the very similar ax murders mentioned above were committed, and all of the cases did show striking similarities, leading to the strong possibility that some, or all of the crimes were committed by an ax-murdering serial killer and, just like “Blackie” Mansfield, the ax-murdering Henry Moore can also be considered a suspect in some of these slayings as well, yet the case remains open.

Sam Moyer

At the inquest, it was reported that Sam Moyer (Josiah’s brother-in-law) often threatened to kill Josiah Moore. However, upon further investigation, Moyer’s alibi cleared him of the crime.



One thought on “Villisca Axe Murders

  1. It was Sara Moore, not Josiah, that was struck the most times with the axe and whose eyes had been destroyed. Also, there weren’t any defensive wounds on Lena. The reason they believed she may have woke up was due to her body position. Her head was off the pillow and her left arm was above her head, as if she had tried to escape but was struck down before she could.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s